As sensitive souls made up of energy in a human body, we accumulate “stuff.” We’re like sponges absorbing the energy of those around us and holding onto emotional residue left over from our reactions to situations and events in our lives. If you are an HSP like me (hyper sensitive person) then you are like a syphon of information, taking in every nuance, every sound, facial expression, conversation around you, even the emotions of others that they don’t know they’re feeling or are trying their darndest to hide. Picture yourself with a hundred antennae around your body and that’s about right.
All of this affects your health and wellbeing. Physically you can actually get sick and run down from carrying all of that excess “stuff.” Physical disease enters your energy body before it manifests in your physical body. Emotionally you might begin to feel the emotions of those around you. You feel depressed or irritable without knowing why. And mentally you can easily move into overwhelm, stress, and anxiety. It is very important to keep your nervous system and electromagnetic field (aura) strong. Fortunately there are many simple but powerful ways to protect AND clear yourself of low vibrational energy.
In this 2 part series we begin with, How to Protect and Strengthen your Aura or energy field.
1. Do a daily meditation or visualization that powerfully protects you like armor. Some ideas that work are; visualizing yourself in a cocoon or egg of golden white or purple light. My favourite way to suit up in protective Light body armor can be found here. I’ve been using this visualization for years to great effect and the beauty of it is that once you get the hang of it, you can powerfully protect yourself FAST within a matter of seconds.
2. Tune in with your Highest Self, your intuition, and your Guides every day. You can do this by closing your eyes, watching your breath, and then visualizing golden light a few hundred feet above you, coming in through the crown of the head all the way down past your tailbone into the earth, and then back up to meet at your heart space. And I rarely start the day, my meditation, or my work without tuning into wisdom with the Adi Mantra, Ong Namo Guru Dev Namo, 3x. More about it here.
3. Git yerself a chunk of black tourmaline and put that bad boy in your pocket, in a pouch around your neck, on your bedside table, or between you and your computer when you’re working. Keep it close to ward off psychic attacks and lower vibrations.
4. On the subject of psychic attacks, if you feel like someone is sending you bad juju, be sure to do a Cord Cutting meditation. Here is a lovely one from, Christine Russell, co-owner of 889 Yonge (the yoga studio that I teach at in Toronto). You could also book a session with a professional shaman or healer. See my sessions here.
5. Get more sleep and practice Yoga Nidra. I literally SWEAR by yoga nidra and it got me through my 1st year of mommyhood when a good night’s sleep became a distant memory. Yoga Nidra is a powerful technique for slowing down the brainwaves. You get real comfy lying down on your bed or the floor and listen to a practitioner guide your awareness around your body and to your breath. Find a recording with a voice that you like or it’s unlikely you’ll be able to relax. Hello nails on chalkboard. I like to think my voice doesn’t feel like that. Let me know in the comments after listening to my recorded yoga nidra here ;)
6. If you find yourself face to face with a person sending you negative energy either verbally or psychically, turn sideways. Seriously, do not face them with your navel. You want to protect this area, the 3rd/navel chakra. This is your self power and you don’t want an energy vampire or bully sucking any of your power.
7. Eat grounding foods and drink grounding teas. This literally means, foods that grow IN the earth like potatoes, lentils, squash etc. Don’t eat them exclusively but make sure to include them in your diet especially if you are an HSP (hyper sensitive person) and when you’re feeling a little vulnerable.
8. Call on your Spirit Posse and Angels!!!! Seriously just ask. They are here for you always and everywhere and just waiting to be asked. Prayer is powerful.
9. Mantra. A beautiful mantra for protection is called, the Mangala Charan Mantra. I use this one ALL. THE. TIME and definitely when I set out for the day and before getting on my bike or into my car. There are absolutely beautiful renditions of this mantra by wonderful kundalini musical artists, Snatam Kaur and Nirinjan Kaur to name a couple. In addition, if you can play sacred music and chants at home, while cooking, working, playing with your children, driving, then do so. Mantra has powerful vibrations and completely change the environment you’re in, internally AND externally.
Repeat the Mangala Charan 3x
Aad Guray Nameh
Jugaad Guray Nameh
Sat Guray Nameh
Siri Guru Dayvay Nameh
I bow to the Primal Wisdom.
I bow to the Wisdom through the Ages.
I bow to the True Wisdom.
I bow to the great, unseen Wisdom
10. Surround yourself with like-minded people who lift your spirits, inspire, support and encourage you. Get comfy with saying no to those who don’t. And if you must be around them at work or home, for the love of Goddess, make sure you’re using the tools mentioned above.
In my next article I will show you how to release low vibrational energies that you may have picked up and accumulated from other people, situations, and even your own thoughts. It’s important for you to know how to shed these energies at the end of each day so that you are healthy, happy, and clear on what will serve your highest good and path and what won’t.
Peace within and peace without.